Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Break 2009! WOOOOOOO!!! Party!

OK, so it wasn't spring break like that, but Paula and I did get away this weekend for a little fun in the sun of the Caribbean. We left on Thursday from Miami on the Celebrity Century, which is also the first ship that we ever cruised on back in 2002.

The ship itself has been upgraded and the new martini bar is something else, with an icy waterfall behind the bar and an iced section in the middle. The crew and staff was spectacular, much better than our last cruise in the Med. (We were a little disappointed, we felt the staff was well below Celebrity standards.)

Our first stop was Key West, a place that we love. Unfortunately the excursion that we had booked got cancelled because of lack of interest. Truly, it shouldn't surprise us that the kayak/snorkel/swim with wild dolphins wasn't really popular with the Celebrity crowd. (The crowd tends to be a bit older, which suits us normally.) The excursion being cancelled was kind of a blessing in disguise, as we had a great time just bumming around town. We went to the southernmost point, had breakfast at Blue Heaven, and then did a mini pub crawl from Margaritaville, to Sloppy Joe's, to Captain Tony's, and ending up at Hog's Breath. A great time, and as usual I managed to get myself into a fun conversation with a couple of people who were a hoot and a half while sucking down margaritas! (Turned out they were on our boat as well, though we only saw them at the end.)

Our next stop was Cozumel for some of the best diving we've ever done. Both dives were drift dives where the current pulled us along the reef where we saw all manner of sea life. It was truly my personal best set of dives, I was able to make it to depth with little or no issue with my ears, and reached a new personal "deepest" dive of 90 feet! I was even able to make the first tank last 40 minutes, which is crazy long for me. (Though it was almost dry by the time we got to the surface, I had less than 100 psi.)

The second dive got a little dicey when Paula's tank ran low very early in the dive (we don't think they put her on a full tank at the changeover) but our excellent training kicked in and we did buddy breath for the remainder of the dive. Buddy diving isn't all that uncommon, we actually saw a couple doing it the entire time in Egypt, but it was a new experience for us.

The last day at sea was really nice weather, a little windy, but sunny and warm! I managed to burn my backside because I didn't reapply sunblock when I "turned." Apparently I managed to sweat off all of that SPF 8 off of the back because the front is still white and the back is all red!

We'll get a few photos posted at some point, I'll leave that to Paula! (Everyone knows I can't do a thing with a camera.)

Vincent was apparently very happy to be picked up from Puppy Camp, Paula said he bounded out to greet here and has been sleeping since he got home.

2 comments:

jhalsey said...

You guys are BAD with the air in your tanks! BAD BAD BAD!!!!! 100 psi....buddy breathing to continue the dive?! Crazy! OK..enough lecture ;)

Sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully I'll get some stuff posted about our cruise on here today!

Eric and Paula said...

First, I wasn't happy with the 100 psi, when I hit 500 I said "up" to the dive master and he didn't go right away.

Second, we watched people in Egypt do buddy breath for the whole dive so I wasn't too worried. Plus there were six others in the group so if I had an air issue we could have shared from others.